Wednesday, August 10, 2005

A poem by Anna Laetitia Wuring

Father, I know that all of my life is portioned out for me

And the changes that are sure to come, I do not fear to see

But I ask Thee for a present mind, intent on pleasing Thee.



I ask Thee for a thoughtful love, through constant watching wise,

To meet the glad with joyful smiles and to wipe the weeping eyes

And a heart at leisure from itself, to soothe and sympathize.



I would not have the restless will that hurries to and fro

Seeking for some great things to do or some secret thing to know

I would be treated as a child and guided where to go.



Wherever in the world I am, in whatsoever estate

I have fellowship with hearts to keep and cultivate

And a work of lowly love to do, for the Lord on whom I wait.



So I ask Thee for the daily strength, to none that ask denied

And a mind to blend with the outward live while keeping at Thy side

Content to fill a little space, if Thou art glorified.



And if sometimes I do not ask in my cup of blessing be,

I would have my spirit filled the more, with grateful love to Thee

More careful not to serve Thee much, but to please Thee perfectly.



There are briers besetting every path that call for patient care

There is a cross in every lot, and an earnest need for prayer

But a lowly heart that leans on Thee is happy everywhere.



In service which Thy will appoints there are no bonds for me

For in my inmost heart is taught the truth that makes Thy children free

And a life of self-renouncing love, is a life of liberty.



~Anna Laetitia Wuring~

No comments: