Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The Good Shepherd Leads His Sheep

I'm beginning to see and learn more and more why the Lord highly favours Abraham. In Genesis chapter 12 (yesterday's entry), we read of God calling Abram (before he was named Abraham) to leave his country, people and father's household. And of course, we know he was called into the land that his descendants would possess - the "land flowing with milk and honey" Canaan. However at the beginning of the chapter, God did not reveal where he was leading Abram, God simply said "go to the land that I will show you". Astonishing! Abram moved literally all his possession, and left the rest all behind to a destination he did not even know! Now that's great faith.

I believe today God is also calling us to go to this unseen land. Well, we do know a lot of our destinies, but quite often He leaves the locations of our destinations at just the right time- sometimes it means that we need to wait much more patiently (the hard part). Not like He like to torture us mentally, but rather He wants to give us maturity and prepare us for His blessings - in Abraham's case, it was more than 5 generations until Joshua finally brought his descendants into the promised land. To share of my life, I have completely no idea where I'll be and what I will be doing this day next year or for that matter, next 10 years. But I just have to put my head up above the water and continue to hope on the Lord and pray.

The reason why I use "head above the water" because if we are not careful, it is easy to get wash away and drowned in the worries and distractions that are guaranteed along the way. Just like the Israelites who were constantly complaining and worshipped the golden bull when they could not see Moses coming down, and Abram, as we shall see, bearing Ishmael with Hagar, when God had a better plan. So, to sum it up, God's promises is crucial when we are in the journey to the land we are destined for, whether it be where God wants us to be in our work and family, and eternally speaking- heaven. God's plan is to prosper us, to give us a future (Jeremiah 29:11), to let us rise up like eagles (Isaiah 40), to save and not to condemn us. Today, let us confess of the times when we worry of our future and when uncertainties crop into our minds. God sees the beginning from the end, our destination from His creation- and He is a good, loving, awesome God- He must have a good, loving, awesome future for us! Don't lose sight of that, and wait- He will lead the way.

Prayer
Lord, I give thanks that my future is in Your hands. I stand strong in Your Word. Protect my heart as I walk this journey of faith- and lead me to the blessing You have planned for me. Amen

No comments: