Saturday, January 27, 2007

I Refuse to be Discourage

It's getting cold over here though supposedly it is still summer in Tasmania. Seems like that's how I would like to describe my blog : "This blog is like the weather- always updating!". But it's just the winds I guess- I'm feeling rather good here actually- been through a lovely and meaningful day. First of all, a couple of 'firsts'- first time I cooked chinese herbs chicken (and it actually taste nice!) and the first time I watch City Harvest Church Singapore's Kong Hee preach- sheer enlightenment.

Secondly, it's 11:28 p.m. and I feeling sleepy! That's new- I usually sleep around 1 a.m. However, the good run today was totally great and I ran and ran and ran- to keep fit and not slim (obviously!). I only reached halfway through my destination but I guess it was an encouragement for someone who has weak stamina like me. I mean, not stopping frequently is already an achievement in itself. But as I ponder upon the subject of running, which is a constant theme this year for me (for example Hebrews 12:1-3), I wonder whether my journey of faith could be equated to my running. I hope not but I seriously thought about that. I was wondering the fact that I didn't reach my destination (to Long Beach) and turn back halfway is something of an "unbiblical" thing - We do see many people stop doing things that they try to pick up- such as quit smoking or dieting- I am a good example for always failing to pick up good habits. And also, I get so short of breath and muscle-strain-- symptons of lacking in stamina.

What I'm trying to get to is that in life as christians- there are all sorts of habits and "incidents" in life that prompt us to equate them with our faith in Christ. But really, those shouldn't discourage us from trusting in Him. Rather, we should learn from these fallbacks and focus on whatever good we could find in the fallbacks. When you hit a wall, try not to focus on the wall but focus on the fact that you are not stagnant but moving forward. This is not being over-optimistic, and we shouldn't over-indulge ourselves in self-pity and trying "force" something wrong into something right (eg. smoking or lust) but we should know our limitations and God's way of working- we are weak as humans and God is more concerned with the process rather than the results. So don't expect that He will always turn your situation overnight; sometimes it could be for a long, long time before we finally see daylight. But we do have all the promises that He is working everything out for our good and He will produce a masterpiece out of our dumpster. So, if you are in one of those seasons where you are hitting the ceiling, rest for awhile and consider His grace; pause and look at things in a different perspective - the God/Loving father perspective- discipline comes with love. And when you realize that, it's time to pray "I can do all things through Him who strenghthens me" and start running again. He will come and save you.

As I was struggling with this "running" issue while I was running, it start to dawn upon me that I seriously can't expect myself to be a marathon runner by running once in a month. I will try again in 2 days time, and try to run the distance progressively. I did not reach my destination but that was the past, the important thing is I will continue to run forward with a direction and a goal set- the desert is almost at the edge, and the promise land is bound to be claimed- so to speak.

No comments: